We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams

Monday 26 April 2010

Did someone step on a cat??

So. Right now my room smells like flowers. Fresh flowers. Which is really freaking me out, because I definitely don't have any flowers that I can see, so who knows what that smell really is.

Something I'm really excited about is my awesome awesome awesome MP3 speaker/radio/candy factory apparatus that I got for my birthday and only today figured out how to set the alarm. It was amazing, I was pleasantly stirred awake by the lovely flow of the Gonzalez piano cover of Feist's "One Evening", which is a much more soothing way to wake up then my phone's current blasting of the first notes of "Wake Up" by Arcade Fire (while you would think the name would imply an awesome idea for an alarm, it is actually extremely terrifying to suddenly be jolted out of the sleeping world by it).

I recently finished the book "90-Day Geisha", a memoir of one girl's time spent in Tokyo as a hostess. It's the second autobio I've read recently of whities going to Japan (the other being "Wrong About Japan"), and I find it incredibly fascinating that people feel such a need to try and explain Japanese from a foreign perspective, because I feel like it often comes out slightly correct, but very biased. I thought this book was pretty interesting, but the lead character kind of struck me as a brat--she liked to make it very clear that she was way above the bizarre world and was really only participating as an observer with the sheer motivation of writing a book. Also, she liked to point out how much of a model she was, but when I saw the pictures of her, I couldn't help but think, "Really?" Not because she wasn't pretty, but just because she was so average looking (but like...average pretty). Is everyone a model these days? Kind of like how everyone's a photographer? Yeah, well, whatever; the book was still interesting and got me pumped for Japan.

I'd love to continue to ramble on in an incoherent fashion, but it is bum-thirty in the morning and I should be sleeping for some reason because that is a practical thing to do at this time of night. So goodnighty nights.

2 comments:

  1. 1. I love your titles. And then I figure out that they have almost nothing to do with what you're writing about...which kinda makes them even better.

    2. I've noticed the same thing about how everybody is a photographer. But not everybody is good.

    3. I think you should write an autobio. Yeah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i read your blog. (that's present tense read).

    ReplyDelete